Sunday, November 4, 2007

Pickled Peppers!

I like pickled peppers, mainly the jalapeno kind. We unexpectedly grew lots of serrano peppers this year. It was a shock to see we still had a 50-100 peppers still on the plants, what to do with them! Serrano peppers are 4 times hotter than jalapenos apparently, certainly can't eat them all tonight. 

Put these facts together and you get me making pickled peppers tonight. I've never done it before, but there is a great satisfaction of having done something old-timey and not having all my peppers rot. Of course my hand is still on fire from having sliced all those hot peppers, it even swelled a bit. Got me out of changing the baby's diaper though.

Here's the recipe I found randomly on the internets:
2 qts. Jalapeno peppers
2 cup white vinegar
2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
4 cloves garlic


Slice peppers or leave them whole. (To prevent bursting, cut two small slits in whole peppers.) Pack peppers tightly into clean, hot jars.
Combine vinegar and water; heat to a simmer. Do not boil. Pour hot vinegar over peppers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add pickling salt and and a clove of garlic to each jar then seal. 
Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Rather than garlic, I used onions. Its a shame we didn't have any carrots, those always seem to go well in pickled peppers. And rather than pickling salt I used normal table salt. Which according to Alden at Sonic.net, should you be worried, is perfectly fine. Now in a few weeks I can have my very own homebrew pickled peppers.

2 comments:

Zelmarific said...

Moooo! Moooo!

Gina said...

Hooray, blog!

I, too, love pickled things. I made pickled garlic a couple of years ago and it turns blue. Some chemical reaction, apparently. I hope your pickles turn out yummy and hot!